August 11, 2021

2021 – 07/27

If you’ve received an advance Child Tax Credit (CTC) payment that you don’t qualify for, the IRS says you should return the payment. There are certain situations where some taxpayers who don’t qualify for the higher 2021 CTC will receive advance payments. To return a payment, the IRS recommends following the same steps used to return Economic Impact Payments (EIP). If you received a paper check, simply write “Void” on it and mail it back to the IRS with a brief note. If you received a direct deposit, you must write a personal check to the U.S. Treasury and add “2021 advance CTC” to the memo line. For more details, visit this EIP Q&A page and read Question #1: